Sunday, June 19, 2011

Liberty & Carthage Jail & Nauvoo

Isn't this Temple majestic? 


This is the view from the Nauvoo Temple, so pretty. 


Liberty jail was a surprise to me.  I don't know what I was expecting but it was pretty shocking to actually see where these men were held, and the conditions they lived in.  I was impressed with the church recreating the look and the feeling of this part of history.  The spirit was very powerful, but then again it always is when Joseph Smith is involved.  Love that prophet so much.

Carthage was interesting, mostly because we randomly met up with Alicia and Britton.  We had planned at some point to meet up with them in Nauvoo, but ended up running into each other in Carthage.  This place is prettier than I expected.  Very simple and clean.  I felt like I had been there before probably because of the church movies.  I found myself wondering what those men in the mob where feeling after it was over?  Or what they are thinking and feeling now?  Such a sad day.  I personally love Joseph Smith and I am so grateful for his life and his love and testimony.  I also gained a deep love for Hyrum Smith, always dedicated and supportive of his brother.  What great men.

This was funny to me.  Alicia and I served together on our missions (she was my trainer).  We always kinda joked about the quote by John Taylor, "In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated." 
This picture is yet another example of my darling daughter who can't smile for the camera. 

2 comments:

Tracie said...

I love the picture of my two best girls...now head over to Detroit so we can have plates of ice cream like old times!!!

Shelly said...

Jealous!