Sunday, June 26, 2011

Taste of Chicago


Well the day came and went, and I pretty much smiled all day long.  The biggest food fest in the U.S. totally lived up to the hype.  We had amazing food, fantastic sight seeing and most importantly really fun people watching.  (One of my all time favorite things to do.)

This is how it works.  You have to purchase tickets, it's pretty pricey.  But remember you are also paying for the experience, absolutely worth the money.  This year the festival featured 59 different restaurants.  So we did our research first, and did some walking before we started to taste.  I knew I wanted deep dish pizza, duh chicago's famous food of course.  But we were pleasantly surprised at some random choices also.  All the booths featured about 5 menu items and they offer sample size options of 2 things from their menu.  So we sampled and pigged out, best of both worlds.
Here are some of my good eats...

This mouth watering pizza is from Bacino's.  I got the Spinach Supreme deep dish, and Scott ordered the Sausage Supreme deep dish.  I felt like it was my first time trying deep dish, because it was to die for.  It didn't taste like regular old pizza... it was a cheesy meal full of flavor and crisp.  The crust was more like pie crust, so delicious!!!!
http://www.bacinos.com/



Next we had to get the Sweet roasted corn on the cob.  That's all that my son Luke wanted.  It was wonderful, although corn on the cob always hurts my teeth, weird, I know.  So I didn't eat too much of it. Luke was happy.  


Next we had to try the street tacos from Carbon Mexican Grill.  This was heaven on a little tiny corn tortilla.  I feel like I have had my fare share of mexican tacos.  With in the last year these little things have moved up my list to be some of my most favorite things to eat.  Whether it be Cafe Rio's chicken tacos or home made or street tacos.  I consider myself a taco lover!  Well, Carbon excellent job.  We tried the steak tacos, I wish they were bigger.  I could have consumed 5 more.  Anyone who knows me.... knows I am a sauce whore.  Great sauce here!  



We saw a sign with mini meatball subs, and Scott practically ran up to this one.  He loves meatball sandwiches and this one did not disappoint.  Perfect size and excellent to eat.  It was from Connie's Pizza http://www.conniespizza.com/


We all know I am loving the BBQ lately.  This bad boy is from The Smoke Daddy.  Perfect smokey taste.  But then again I think most BBQ is good.  
http://www.thesmokedaddy.com/


This surprised me, Scott really wanted a Sesame Beef sandwich from The Noodle Vietnamese Cuisine.  They are famous for their Pho, which made me sad I couldn't try that.  My little sister Cori loves Pho, maybe another time.  This was okay too me.  Beef with vegi's and a sweet sauce, it reminded me of coleslaw.  


I had to go back to Carbon Mexican Grill, I couldn't stop thinking about the street tacos.  So here is the chicken one.  Equally as great as the steak. 


This is just a picture of a hotdog.  We didn't try any dogs.  Sorry to disappoint. 


We finished off the day with popcorn, one of our favorites.  This was from Garrett Popcorn Shops.  It is a mixture of cheesy and carmel popcorn, Oh my gosh totally hits the spot.  Plus, this was one of Oprah's favorite things this year 2011.  
http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/



Taste of Chicago how I love you!  I am grateful it was free to get into, and provided amazing city backdrops while I stuffed my face.   I am so glad I experienced this festival with the people that I love most.  Scott thanks for putting up with me and my obsession with blogging all of our food adventures.  What a perfect weekend. 

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

I love that roasted sweet corn. You guys look like you are having so much fun.
Have you gone to the American Girl Doll store yet? I would to take Jersey there someday.

mom said...

OH GOSH, what did I miss??? Looks so deliciously FUN!

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, Paige -- you are so adorable, and the food festival sounds SOOO cool and delicious!