Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Stuck in a Rut


Are you stuck in a rut?  I was inspired by a blog today, it was Dawn's blog, she is the mormon woman who was on survivor this last season.  I so enjoyed her and I love reading about her life after survivor.  Her blog is thedeserethousewife.blogspot.com check her out sometime.  
Anywho she posted this week about being stuck in a rut and most things she referenced rang true for me.   This is what she said and I whole heartedly agree...  

"When I was a kid, I remember my mom moving furniture around . . .


a lot.


Like, I think our family room had more than 25 configurations during my teenage years.


At the time, I never really understood why my mom liked to move the furniture so much. I just knew that if dad wasn't home when mom got the idea to move it--my brother and I were going to be gaining some serious resume experience as future "Starving Student Movers."


Now flash-forward 30+ years, and I realize why my mom moved the furniture so much. (At least I think I know.)


She likes things moving, growing . . . not stagnant and predictable.


So, moving the furniture was one of my mom's ways of making that kind of visible movement/growth/space/change in our lives.


I like that idea. The idea of change and movement. Growth.


And I like how something simple, like moving furniture can create energy and enthusiasm in other areas of our lives.


It's pretty amazing.


So with that in mind, here are a few simple suggestions for shakin' things up on the homefront. (All of which, I've tried in the past 12 weeks--and they are worth doing. Promise!)


Try some, you'll be surprised at how GOOD change/growth/movement feels:


* If you are married, swap your side of the closet with your spouse's side.
(I just did this and I can't believe how different it feels. It's funny.)


* Next time you order at your favorite restaurant, order something NEW.
(Again, just did it. And I was shocked! I've been eating a less-than yummy meal for years at my "favorite" place. Nutty!)


* If you don't exercise, start. If you do exercise, change your routine.
(Think of that farmer saying, "Be careful which rut you choose--because you'll be in it for the next 15 miles!")


* Move your furniture. (Swap your kids' rooms, even.)
(Kids are more bendy than grown-ups. They will like it.)


* Shop at a different grocery store.


* Paint your nails a color you'd NEVER normally choose.


* Take a day off from making your bed or doing the dishes.
(This is obviously for those people that are OCD like me. I would sleep on top of my bed, just to keep it neat. Really. But for the first time in forever--or ever--I left it unmade last week. And guess what . . . Jr. saw it and made it! LOL!)"

Thanks Dawn from Survivor, well thats what we refer to her as in our house. I loved all your ideas. 

3 comments:

Erin said...

Very good ideas. One of the kids was just asking the other day if we could switch bedrooms...really?? I thought. Sooo much work. Oh yea, and we hardly ever make our beds around here....

SMITH FAMILY said...

That's funny. I am constantly changing rooms around and moving furniture. Joe thinks I am a nut job about it... but I need the change.

Coralie Fisher said...

This was a fun post, I must have missed it before :)